CE Marking 2014/30/EU EMCD
Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive
Conformity assessment procedure an introduction
- Module A – Internal Production Control (A.K.A. Self DoC)
- Module B – Use of Notified Body (NB)
- Module C – Conformity to type based on internalproduction control
Manufacturer chooses which modules;
- Module A (Standard compliance route!)
- Module B+C (Voluntary use of NB)
Internal Production Control (DoC)
Manufacturer shall, on their sole responsibility.
- Perform conformity assessment of the product type
- testing by manufacturer or 3rd party
- Testing in full to harmonized standards
- Prepare all Technical Documentation
- Monitor manufacturing process to ensure conformity
- of the apparatus with the type assessed in step 1
- Affix the CE marking to each individual apparatus
- that is in conformity with the type assessed
- Make a Declaration of Conformity (DoC)
- and keep a copy of the DoC
- together with the technical documentation
- at the disposal of the national authorities
- for 10 years after the apparatus has been placed on the market
EC-Type Examination and Certification
- Module B is not used alone but rather in conjunction with Module C.
- Module B utilizes the technical expertise of a Notified Body toexamine the technical documentation and supporting evidence toassess the adequacy of the technical design of the apparatus. Thereis typically no examination of a specimen.
- The manufacturer or authorized representative chooses a SINGLENOTIFIED BODY from EU or MRA Country such as the UnitedStates.
- Additionally, a declaration to the NB is made affirming that thesame application has not been sent to another NB (NB will check)
- shall include;
- Supporting evidence for the adequacy of thetechnical design solution and any documents thathave been used, in particular when relevantharmonized standards have not been applied infull.
- Where applicable, the results of tests carried outby a lab (Test Report)
- Specifics of what part of the essentialrequirements are to be assessed (e.g. only immunity)
A Notified Body Shall
- Examine the technical documentationand supporting evidence
- Assess the adequacy of the technicaldesign
- Produce an evaluation report recordingactivities
- Released in full or in part by applicantconsent
Certificate / Letter
- If the report is negative, no certificate, issue“letter of refusal” instead
- Detailed response as to the refusal reason
- Require applicant to take corrective measures
- If the type meets the assessed requirements,issue EU-type examination certificate3-31
Note: The Notified Body does not test, only an assessment is madeof applicant’s technical documentationA test lab does not certify, only provides testing to manufacturer’sspecifications
- Ensure/declare that equipment concerned is in conformitywith the type covered by the EU-type examinationcertificate received from NB.
- Prepare all Technical Documentation. (Before Module B process)
- Monitor manufacturing process to ensure conformity of theapparatus with the type covered by the certificate.
- Affix the CE marking to each individual apparatus that is inconformity with the type covered by the type certificate.
- Make a Declaration of Conformity and keep a copy of theDoC and a copy of the EU-type examination certificate, itsannexes and additions together with the technicaldocumentation at the disposal of the national authoritiesfor 10 years after the apparatus has been placed on themarket.
When To Use Module B+C
- Harmonized standards not used in full or do not exist.
- Unit meets EMC standards not recognized by EU, but meetsessential requirements.
- Too many product variants and testing of all configurations maybe impractical.
- The apparatus is too large to test as per requirements.
- If the type meets the assessed requirements, the NB shall issue an EU-type examination certificate.
- The certificate shall contain at minimum;
- Manufacturers name/address;
- Necessary data for identification of the approved type
- Conclusions of the examination
- Conditions for certificate validity
- The certificate may contain one or more annexes.
- The certificate and it’s annexes shall contain all relevantinformation to allow the conformity of the apparatus with theexamined type to be evaluated and to allow for in-servicecontrol.
The Declaration of Conformity
- Only a single DoC, even if more than one directive isapplicable.
- The DoC shall have the “model structure” and shallbe continuously updated.
- It shall be in the language or languages required bythe MS in which market the apparatus is placed ormade available.
- Most severe directive is leading and sets minimumcontent of DoC.