IEC 60335-1: Safety for Household & Similar Electrical Appliances
Safety – Part 1: General requirements
Published: July 6th, 2023
Introduction to IEC 60335-1:
This standard recognizes the internationally accepted level of protection against hazards such as electrical, mechanical, thermal, fire and radiation of appliances when operated as in normal use taking into account the manufacturer’s instructions.
It also covers abnormal situations that can be expected in practice and takes into account the way in which electromagnetic phenomena can affect the safe operation of appliances.
This standard is a product family standard dealing with the safety of appliances and takes precedence over horizontal and generic standards covering the same subject.
Scope of IEC 60335-1:
This International Standard deals with the safety of electrical appliances for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances including direct current (DC) supplied appliances and battery operated appliances.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
This standard deals with the reasonably foreseeable hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons.
However, in general, it does not take into account:
a) persons (including children) whose physical, sensory, mental capabilities; lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
b) children playing with the appliance.
This standard does not apply to:
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapor or gas);
- audio, video and similar electronic apparatus (IEC 60065);
- medical electrical equipment (IEC 60601 series);
- hand-held motor-operated electric tools (IEC 60745 series);
- information technology equipment (IEC 60950-1);
- transportable motor-operated electric tools (IEC 61029 series);
- audio/video, information and communication technology equipment (IEC 62368-1);
- electric motor-operated hand-held tools, transportable tools and lawn and garden machinery (IEC 62841 series).
Talk to us
please contact us for information on how we can help you with your compliance needs.